a little Libby


When I first saw the Friend to Knit With Libby cardigan last year I immediately joined the voices calling for the pattern and was duly rewarded when Leslie gennerously made the pattern freely available. Leslie took her inspiration from the Boden catalogue and funnily enough that same Boden cardigan had caught my eye too and I immediately wondered how easy it would be to create my own. However, unlike clever Leslie, my thought remained no more than a thought in my head.

I love this cardigan, Leslie did such a good job. Her version is in fact a simplified version of the Boden one, there are no cables but the simple garter stitch details marry perfectly with the swing shape and I think I like this version even better.


It was quick to knit, even taking into account the need for me to do a little maths in sizing the pattern down.


I used Rowan Felted Tweed which I suspect may be a little lighter than Leslie's yarn choice but I swatched a couple of times and eventually got gauge.


I am particulary impressed by how well Leslie's sleeve caps work. Neatly setting in sleeves often gives me a headache but Leslie's seem to work perfectly, the neat, sharp line shoulder line gives me huge satisfaction.


Another interesting note is that the sleeves are slim fitting and I love this, I often knit sleeves that seem ridiculously loose and baggy, in fact in recent years I frequently find myself having to ignore the pattern instructions on the sleeve size and re-writing to suit my preference for a neater fitting sleeve. It is not that I or my children have particularly slim arms but it just seems that many knitting patterns come with very wide fitting sleeves, perhaps it is to enable the wearer to keep all manner of strange things up their sleeves?


If you have been considering knitting Libby but are worried about re-sizing then please do not let that put you off. It was really easy to work out what adjustments to make and I promise you that I am very bad at these sort of calculations but this didn't even have me swearing. So come on, no excuses, just go for it.

Comments

Jennifer said…
It's beautiful! I've had this in my queue since she published it. Unlike you, I was too scared to resize it and have simply been waiting for my daughter to grow up a bit!
Ali said…
Gorgeous! Makes me want a little girl to knit one for (or a grown-up version!)
Elizabeth said…
Your Little Tilly is quite the fashion model, as she should be when her mum is always knitting and sewing sweet things for her.
Anita said…
Fabulous cardie - very Boden, as you say. I like the last photograph especially - really going for it!
kim said…
I am saving this pattern for my little Bean. Yours and Leslie's are so cute. I love your little model. She seems perfectly delighted with her new wardrobe addition.
Laura said…
So sweet! You've inspired me to re-size for a five-year-old...
erin said…
That's one cool Libby ... for posing with chic attitude and jumping around in and just looking cool ... especially with that polka dot skirt :)
Cybèle said…
There was a little girl at the swimming pool last Saturday who was wearing something very similar to this, but with short sleeves. It looked so nice. Unfortunately, my soon to be 11 year old has very definite ideas about what's cool and what's not, and a Libby very definitely doesn't fall in her cool category. Hmmm I wonder if I could get away with it in neon orange...? ;-)
Yours is gorgeous! so's the little girl...
kristina said…
How gorgeous--the sweater and the model! And I agree with you about sleeves: usually too big and so hard to set in well. Yours look perfect! Love the color too...
shelleyinsc said…
Adorable. Fits her perfectly. And I LOVE it with the dotted skirt at the bottom!
queenofthefroggers said…
That is a lovely cardi, I do like your hat in the previous post too.
Charity said…
Beautiful! My younger daughter is also loving the pictures of your finished sweater, there may be a Libby in my future... :o)

Popular Posts