Snow day


Friday was due to be the last day of term but a thick blanket of snow meant the holidays started early for us in Suffolk. I knew that snow had been forecast but wasn't betting on a proper covering and as I awoke on Friday morning I lay in bed wondering, that childish feeling of excitement fluttering in the depths of my stomach as I tried to guess the weather. It did seem quiet outside, hopefully quiet. Eventually I slid out of bed and made my chilly dash across the hallway to the bathroom, I lifted the blind and was firmly rewarded with a muffled, frozen landscape. Proper snow, thickly covering every roof, lawn and fence. Perfect.


When I went into the kitchen later, the children still asleep and unaware of the excitement outside their windows, I was able to enjoy that quiet morning feeling a little more than usual. I like to be the first one down in the morning, the house still dark and quiet, I enjoy my peaceful start to the day, of course the dog normally joins me, she hears me putting together the days lunches and comes through, she demonstrates a luxurious "downward facing dog" as she stretches out her aging limbs, she goes to the glass door to inspect the day outside, I always open the door for her but she doesn't always rush out. She has a bladder of iron and can hold on for hours on a rainy day. I wonder what she will make of today.

Today she is eager to go out, her ears are pricked and she looks to me, urging me to hurry with the key. She tiptoes straight out
and I sense her shock and thrill, she rushes straight to the gazebo and shelters there for a moment, then she ventures back out, under the bushes, taking a gently sheltered route to the garden, eventually she walks properly through the snow, sniffing and wondering. Enjoying the newness of it all. Having completed her investigations finished her toilet she scampers back up to the house and into the kitchen, skittish and puppy like for a few minutes, she flicks and shakes then rushes straight back out again.


I put on the coffee and return upstairs. Time to wake the house and spread the good news.

Comments

Popular Posts